Playmakers started as one store in 1977 in a strip center that closed soon after and moved to a major mall. The relocation saw instant success. Playmakers expanded from one store to 10 stores in less than two years. This rapid expansion eventually led to the demise of the Playmakers chain in 1981.
Most stores were closed, but a few individual ones were sold. Curt Munson wanted to continue working in the greater Lansing area and was offered an opportunity to buy the Okemos store. We expanded from one store to three and back again to one store in the Meridian Mall. The Meridian Mall location was increased from 1500 square feet in 1981, to 2000 in 1984, to 4600 in 1989 and to 6400 square feet in 1995. In 2002, Playmakers moved down the street to our present location at 2299 W. Grand River Ave., the site of the former Schmidt’s grocery store. The sign with the shopping cart lady on it is left over from the days when Schmidt’s was located here.
Playmakers is in business to provide the most enjoyable and productive environment in which to work, shop, or visit. There should be a mutually beneficial relationship with all associated with Playmakers: staff, customers, vendors, and the community.
Playmakers is in business to provide the greatest customer service possible. We are not and never will be in business to compete with others. Our biggest competitor is ourselves.
We have grown a lot, learned a lot, and have been very fortunate to have had so many individuals who have made Playmakers what it is today. The store has been built on hard work, dedication, teamwork and a positive attitude by many very good people over the years. Our success has been based on our commitment to exceed customer expectations. We have gone the extra distance to help people and service them. Playmakers has been and always should be a winning situation for everyone involved: customers, staff, vendors and the community.