Good Form Running
Run more efficiently, and with less pain.
Every Tuesday at Playmakers.
What is Good Form Running?
We spend our whole lives on the move: running, walking, skipping, trotting...you name it! While these concepts are familiar and innate to us, it can come as a surprise that we could actually be moving BETTER.
Our basic philosophy encourages one very simple mantra: move light and easy. Instead of a complex bio-mechanical analysis (#Science), Good Form focuses on the simple, essential steps that allow for efficient and healthy running and walking.
Along with effective stretching and strengthening techniques, Good Form can benefit all ranges of runners and walkers. With simplicity as a focal point, Good Form has positively reached thousands of runners and walkers since 2006.
Good Form Running in 3 Steps
Start running better, safer, faster.
- Feet straight, knees relaxed.
- Head level, eyes looking forward.
- Clasp hands, stretch and reach to the sky, elongating spine.
- Drop arms to sides at a 90 degree angle. Keep arms and shoulders relaxed.
- Use compact arm swings, avoid crossing the center body line.
- Land midfoot first, not on heel.
- Entire foot lands softly, under hip line, anot out front (overstriding).
- Run light, avoid pounding.
- Landing under hips promotes a balanced running position minimizing friction (braking).
- Increasing cadence (taking shorter, quicker strides) reduces the chance of over-striding.
- Lean from the ankles without bending at the waist.
- Keep weight slightly forward and flex at the ankles.
- Use gravity to help generate forward momentum.
- Reset posture, then lean tall into a jog.
Good Form in Action
Watch the Pros
Watch world-class athletes competing and you'll see examples of good form - and form that can be improved.
Identifying Common Form Running
Learn how to identify many of the common traits of Common Form Running, which can lead to injury.
Common Form vs. Good Form Running
Many of us run inefficiently and, worse, in ways that could lead to injury. Watch examples of common form & good form running to see the difference.
Good Form is Transforming Lives
Has Good Form Helped You? We'd Love Your Feedback
At Playmakers, we're constantly looking to improve. If you've recently participated in a clinic, we'd love to hear how it went.