Good Form Walking
Walking is a great way to stay healthy. Learn to walk the right way to get the most out of your workout, without taking a toll on your body.
What is Good Form?
We spend our whole lives on the move: running, walking, skipping, trotting...you name it! While these concepts are familiar and innate to us, it can come as a surprise that we could actually be moving BETTER.
Our basic philosophy encourages one very simple mantra: move light and easy. Instead of a complex bio-mechanical analysis (#Science), Good Form focuses on the simple, essential steps that allow for efficient and healthy running and walking.
Along with effective stretching and strengthening techniques, Good Form can benefit all ranges of runners and walkers. With simplicity as a focal point, Good Form has positively reached thousands of runners and walkers since 2006.
Good Form Walking in 3 Steps
Walking healthier, easier, and faster is what every walker strives for. Focusing on proper mechanics, GFW helps walkers of all ages and abilities achieve these goals.
Classes are FREE, fun, and easy, taught by experienced instructors and coaches with decades of combined experience.
- Head level, eyes looking forward.
- Stretch and reach to the sky, elongating spine.
- Relax arms to sides at a 90 degree angle.
- Keep arms & shoulders relaxed.
- Use compact arm swings, avoid crossing the body's center line.
- Knees soft.
- Feet straight ahead.
- Walk lightly, avoid pounding.
- Foot lands softly and closely under hip line.
- A quicker cadence promotes shorter stride length.
- Soft heel roll to midfoot promotes a balanced walking position, minimizing braking and friction.
- Use gravity to help generate forward momentum.
- Slight lean from the ankles without bending at the waist.
- Reset posture, then lean tall into your walk.
Good Form is Transforming Lives
Participated in a Good Form Clinic? We'd Love Your Feedback
At Playmakers, we're constantly looking to improve. If you've recently participated in a clinic, we'd love to hear how it went.